Tuesday 13 January 2015

The imitation game


I thought I needed to see this movie before it started going out of the cinema, so that is what I did. I love historical films, true stories and biographical films and the story of Alan Turing was an extraordinary one to say the least, even if one of my favourite actors was not playing Turing, I still would have gone to see it. 

This film was so beautiful and heartbreaking, I appreciated it greatly. Alan Turing was a great man, it pains me to think of what he went through in his personal life regarding his sexuality, and I just wonder now if someone were to travel back in time and give him an ounce of reassurance that the world now is a lot more accepting and loving in comparison. Would that have changed his death? I believe not, from what I gathered from his personality he was a very vulnerable man, the fact that in a time where he would not live until, to see acceptance would still solidify how unhappy he was with his life. The despicable act of administrating hormonal treatment to cure someone's sexuality is absurd, and its so sad to think of all the people who went through it, because its not fictional. 

This film has made me appreciate Turing and the work he and his team achieved. I had heard of the word 'enigma' before but not in the sense it was portrayed in the film, but the literary sense, an enigma code being a plot device, meaning something puzzling/mysterious. Breaking the enigma code looked astonishing though, even if it was a bit too complicated for me to understand fully, but I got the gist of it. 

Moments I enjoyed:


  • The relationship between Turing and Joan was sweet, a true friendship, an accepting one as well. I'm glad they didn't try and produce a romantic relationship between them, not even a kiss which was nice to see. Although at times her straightforward acceptance of him was mismatched with the realities of what was happening back then, but I'm glad she was very supportive of him, and seemed to understand how his brain worked. 
  • Joan- Was a lovely character, funny, defiant and smart, I'm glad we had that seen at the initiation where she comes in late, it truly breaks down sexism in the workplace for a moment, a moment where brains truly are more important. 
  • Alex Lawther- (Young Alan Turing) deserves some sort of award, I found his performances so moving, he perfected the look of vulnerability and strength, you could see young Alan's shields that he built up, and why they were there, you could truly feel his emotions and coupled with Benedict's own mannerisms of Turing, this coupled display really shone through.
  • Benedict really is a flawless actor, no matter what high profile role he is in, e.g. Sherlock, he always produces a completely outstanding performance making you believe he is not anything other than the role he is currently playing. Everything from the body language, the pure real emotion and determination was perfect, I am so in love with his performance in this film, it is exceptional and if  he doesn't receive at least one award for this film, I will be very angry. He's a talented rarity.
  • That they didn't show his death, that's not how he should be remembered and it had more of an impact in the film like that.
Moments which I did not like:

  • I felt something was off with the colouring, it seemed a little too vibrant for this particular era, maybe its just me, but it felt slightly modern in a way for some reason.
  • John the soviet spy- Didn't like his character for obvious reasons.The police officers- Might be a bit biased since they were homophobic.
Overall I truly did enjoy this film piece, it highlighted an extraordinary historic hero and gave me more of an insight into the life of Alan Turing thanks to some amazing performances.
10/10.




No comments:

Post a Comment